Thursday 14 May 2015

Lorna Drew 'Alexa' Review


For some reason I had this idea throughout my pregnancy that once I'd given birth my bra size would decrease from my then 30GG back to my prenatal size of a 30FF. I was dreaming of those beautiful Mimi Holliday nursing bras, Elle Macpherson's collection, and absolutely any with underwire that I could get my hands on. So when one week in to breastfeeding I found myself spilling out of my nursing bras I was pretty annoyed. I got measured (something which I'm going to recommend pregnant ladies get done every few months!) and sure enough I had gone up another two cup sizes and reached a 30HH. This size is difficult enough to find in regular bras, never mind nursing bras. Thankfully, I discovered Lorna Drew shortly after, and in particular, the Alexa.

I first bought the leopard print version, something which is very unlike me, but I was instantly in love. So much so that I recently decided that living with only four bras on rotation was proving too difficult and seeing as it was in the ASOS sale, I needed to expand my collection to include this gorgeous Ice Blue colourway.



I love the almost vintage style of this bra with it's contrast cups and the thick white seam running down the centre and around the bottom edge. The shape it gives me is also quite reminiscent of vintage style cone bras with the construction and lack of underwire resulting in an almost pointed shape. This is probably partially due to my bottom heavy breasts and something to take in to consideration if you prefer a more rounded shape. Because of the lack of underwire don't expect the gore to tack on this bra either. Sometimes this can give your chest that not so flattering uni-boob shape in maternity and comfort bras, but the three part cups here act to separate and accentuate.

 I will say this as well, the Alexa styles give me the best uplift that I have ever found in a non-wire soft cup bra. I tried so many of these while I was pregnant and they all gave me a really droopy look, especially under clothing, but this bra is the closest to the level of perkiness that you normally expect from underwires. So if you're sticking with the suggestion that you shouldn't wear underwired bras while pregnant and breastfeeding then this is the one for you.


Fit-wise I'm pretty happy with the Alexa. The band is super snug so if you don't like that feeling then maybe consider sister sizing up a band size. However I personally like that because it makes me feel really supported. I also don't quite fill out the bottoms of the cups but the fabric at the top would definitely cut in to my breast tissue if I were to try a cup size down. This is probably just due to the lack of underwires again and it's not really a big deal anyway.

As for the briefs, they're super comfortable and the wide stretchy band along the front would definitely ensure that they would also be suitable for pregnant ladies too. Just watch the sizing on these because Lorna Drew is one of those companies which describes a UK 8-10 as an XS, which is the size I'm wearing here.

Overall I'm super happy with my Alexa set, it's a really original design compared to a lot of other nursing bras and comes in an amazing expanse of sizes: all the way from a 30B up to a 38J. The colours are great for summer if you wear tons of white like me, and it's really easy to nurse in too. It's still available in the ASOS sale here in a few sizes as well as the leopard print colourway.

No comments:

Post a Comment